Saturday, November 3, 2012

Principles Worth Pursuing-Worshiping God With Devotion by Martin Wiles

Series: Principles Worth Pursuing

They once proudly held the majority in the United States but not now. Protestants. Those who willingly received their name because they protested the abuses of the ancient Roman Catholic church.

A recent survey by Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life reveals current U. S. Protestant adherents have for the first time slipped below 50 percent by two percentage points. And not because some are disgruntled and have left the church but because “nones”-those who willingly reject affiliation with any church, have increased from 15 to 20 percent over the last five years. Researchers concluded; “(Y)oung adults today are much more likely to be unaffiliated than previous generations were at a similar stage in their lives.”*

This disturbing trend makes what David told his son even more relevant. And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and a willing mind (I Chronicles 28:9 NLT).

Worshiping God corporately and individually reminds me I’m part of a bigger plan. Life is not solely about me. Through the act of worship, I acknowledge God as my creator and sustainer, get in touch with my spiritual side, present needs I’m powerless over to One who has unlimited power, and engage with others who share the common thread of faith in Jesus Christ. Worship is not a crutch I lean on because I can’t handle life but a prop I freely seize because I believe there’s only One who can equip me to. Worship is exciting, fulfilling and necessary. Neglecting it starves us spiritually; eagerly participating in it satisfies our innate spiritual yearning.

Prayer: Almighty and everlasting God, You have created us to adore You through our worship. Captivate us with Your presence so we’ll come before you willingly and regularly.
*For more info, visit

www.pewforum.org/Unaffiliated/nones-on-the-rise.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment