Friday, November 2, 2012

Principles Worth Pursuing-Discovering God’s Truth

Series: Principles Worth Pursuing

“Attention.” With my heels tucked tightly and my sword dangling by my side, I awaited the commander’s next order. “Draw swords.” I raised my sword to waist level, hands resting on either side of my weapon, while I awaited further instructions. Then I heard the words that riveted adrenalin to my arms, hands and fingers: “Charge.” With unmitigated fury, I flipped my sword and diligently flew into action. If I was the first to complete the mission, I would be awarded the prize.

Bible sword drills were part of my catechetical training while growing up in my father’s churches. Adherence to the drill’s tactics taught me the Bible’s books and helped me memorize verses. But rote memorization and the rigid actions of the drill didn’t automatically enable me to follow what God commanded of me in particular. Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live (Deuteronomy 8:1).

Knowing where important verses in God’s Word are and committing them to memory are honorable endeavors, but allowing the truth of the instruction to seep into every crevice of my mind so it produces actions of obedience is more important. God desires that I be a doer of his Word, not just a driller of books and verses. Through careful study of his Word, I learn who I was without him, who I am in him-and more importantly, who and what I can be with him. His promises equip me to fight each day’s battles and give comfort that carry me through even the most severe trials. So what are you waiting for? “Charge” into God’s Word.

Prayer: Gracious God, giver of Words that prepare us for life’s battle, bleed Your Word into our very souls that we might conquer evil and live abundantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment