Saturday, October 6, 2012

Conquering Depression: Facing The Cause by Martin Wiles

Series: Conquering Depression

I was but didn’t realize it. After all, I didn’t want to lie around and sleep or be alone. I wasn’t crying for unknown reasons or overeating. Nor did I feel like a dark cloud was hanging overhead. 

My symptom was simply fear of unexplainable pains. Did the twinge in my chest signal an approaching heart attack? Was the sting in my stomach a reoccurring ulcer? Nights were battles against cold sweats brought on by worry about major medical melt downs. My family doctor finally convinced me I was healthy; I was simply depressed.

Experiencing an extremely difficult situation that involved losing a career and home and watching my family disintegrate led to my depression. But I hadn’t stop praying, reading the Bible or going to church. Weren’t those the cure-alls for staving off depression?

I discovered conquering depression involves addressing its cause which may be medically based, spiritually induced, circumstance related or a combination of all. David’s was caused by a jealous king trying to prevent him from realizing God’s promise. In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant (Psalm 143:12). His cure was either eliminating the king or viewing his circumstances in a different light.

We may be powerless to change our circumstances, but we can allow God to help us reevaluate them and use them as opportunities for spiritual growth. Getting medical assistance may also be necessary so we can cope with the symptoms until the ultimate cause is addressed. My healing required both. Depression carries no shame. God understands our emotional struggles and desires to help us experience complete healing. Let him show you what’s causing your depression so you can experience emotional healing.

Prayer: Enable us, Almighty Father, to allow You to heal our emotional struggles.

DOWNLOAD MY NEW E BOOK, "AUTHENTIC CHRISTIANITY." A list of do’s and don’ts. For many this is what Christianity entails. Don’t lie. Don’t cheat. Don’t steal. Don’t lust after what others have or people of the opposite sex. Don’t swear. Or drink. Or smoke. Don’t, don’t, don’t.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Wiles,

    My name is Kiera Harrison, and I am doing a project for my Sociology Class on Depression.I decided to do a blog and this is my first time ever doing a blog. I was reading through your Blog and came across some pretty interesting things. If you have any ideas or links that I can post on my blog for my class I would be very thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Kiera. Feel free to use anything on my blog that's helpful to you or you think would be to others. I'll be glad to give you some blogging tips if you need them. I'm not an expert but have been doing it for a few years. Good luck on your project. You've chosen a challenging topic. I have a few more posts coming in this series on depression.

      Delete