Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pressure By The Inch by Martin Wiles

Series: Perfected By Pressure
PSI. Pound per square inch. Or more accurately pound-force per square inch. With tires, it means pressure resulting from one pound of force applied to one square inch. Putting too much pressure results in a rough ride while too little can damage the tire, shortening its lifespan. An extreme amount results in the tire exploding and injuring whoever is nearby.

When James says, For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow (James 1:3 NLT), he’s talking about another kind of PSI. Pressure per square inch. Pressure resulting from a pound of force (whatever it might be on any particular day) to one square inch of my mind, will and emotions. Or my physical body.

When I’m filled with too much pressure from people or circumstances, I can easily mimic a tire by exploding all over the place, damaging myself and others with anger, unkind words, physical confrontations, addictive behaviors, immoral activities, unwise decisions and emotional breakdowns.

But too little pressure-or an absence altogether, isn’t healthy either. When I’m low on pressure, I tend to let my guard down by slacking up on spiritual disciplines like Bible reading, prayer, getting together with other believers, giving and sharing and living out my faith. I can easily forget how much I need God.

God knows we all have pressure issues. That’s why he monitors our PSI. He never applies-or allows anyone else to apply, too much pressure. But he pumps enough to remind us pressure forms our faith and develops trust in him as our sole provider and deliverer. He knows low pressure leads to selfishness and self reliance. And that always results in a rough ride.

Prayer: All wise Father, keep the pressure on so we’ll keep our eyes focused on You.

1 comment:

  1. Luv the tire analogy....how true. I have to remind myself that He is in control when it feels like too much pressure. Praying you have a blessed day with just the right amount of PSI and God's TLC!

    ReplyDelete