Friday, August 31, 2012

On Display by Martin Wiles

I’ve seen them on the end and middle of grocery store aisles. I’ve had to walk around them to get where I was going and have even bumped into a few knocking some of the showcase items to the ground. Displays can be aggravating, but they normally accomplish what they’re intended to do: get my attention.

Reading the word almost gives away the definition. Displays are designed to be eye catchers. Some retailers even ask questions regarding them on prospective employees’ assessment tests. When displays accomplish their purpose, sales increase.

According to Paul our lives are displays. Finally, dear brothers and sisters, we urge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to live in a way that pleases God, as we have taught you (I Thessalonians 4:1 NLT).

Occasionally I rebel over the fact that my life is open for others to see what I’ve placed on my rack. When being on display chafes me, I remember Jesus’ challenge; In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father (Matthew 5:16).

Being Jesus’ display is an exciting honor. My lifestyle demonstrates how God can take a rebellious young man experimenting with addictions and clean him up, how he can enable me to take hurt and criticism without planning revenge, how he can help me rise above my circumstances and how he can empower me to love those who don’t love me back.

Nobody said being on display was easy. Some will ignore us and others might occasionally bump into us and send us reeling. But God will pick up our pieces and put us back together so we can keep displaying his love. What needs to change on your life’s display?

Prayer: Merciful Father, enable us to display You accurately before others.

1 comment:

  1. Good post.
    Something else to remember is that our display is catching somebodies eye, will our display show them Jesus?

    ReplyDelete