Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Faithing Finances by Martin Wiles

“What will you do?” “Where will you go?” “How is having no income better?” All questions asked by concerned people when I resigned. I wasn’t sure of the answers.

I was pastoring a small church in Low Country South Carolina. They were doing the best they could with pay and my wife was trying equally hard to stretch it. But the longer we stayed the more debt we accumulated.

After months of intense prayer, I resigned. We sold a fourth of our belongings, loaded a truck with the remainder, stacked our earthly possessions in two storage buildings and moved in with my mom. We quickly learned the truth of the verse; And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).

People bought our treasures without haggling over prices. We received monetary gifts from friends and strangers. A few paid writing assignments materialized for me, and some baking jobs rose up for my wife. She remarked; “It’s amazing how much money we still have even though we’re spending it on bills.”

God is teaching us a few things about faithing finances. Financial situations aren’t a big deal for him. My concern over finances occasionally borders on worry, but it doesn’t worry God. And if he isn’t worrying, why should I? He obligates himself to meet my needs.

God will be faithful to me when I am to him. Though our income bottomed out, we decided to honor God with the firstfruits of any income whether we could afford it or not. We tithed whether it made sense or not, and we’re convinced that’s why the money is staying in the bank even though we’re spending it.

I never imagined I’d be where I am at midlife, but I don’t worry about it anymore. Your financial decisions may not make sense to others, but if God leads you to them you’ll come out ahead. He promises to meet all your needs and he will when you faith your finances.

Prayer: Father, teach us that all we have belongs to You, comes from You and will be used by You to meet every need we have in every situation we’re in.
DOWNLOAD MY NEW E BOOK, "AUTHENTIC CHRISTIANITY." VISIT https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/180299

2 comments:

  1. Powerful testimony to truth. God keeps His promises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie. Hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete