Thursday, August 30, 2012

Clear Conscience Good Sleep by Martin Wiles

“If you go to sleep with a clear conscience, you won’t have any trouble sleeping,” the older gentleman said. And he was right.

Whether my conscience bothers me because I’ve done or said something wrong or whether it’s just filled with leftovers and undones from the day’s activities is immaterial. Either will keep me up. The mind is a funny thing. During the day when I’m occupied with other things, it doesn’t have much time to wander. But at night it can race with furry.

Peter didn’t have this problem. He was in jail but not for breaking God’s laws. His crime was telling others about God’s love and Jesus’ resurrection from the dead. The King had begun a persecution against Christians, imprisoning Peter with the probable intent of killing him.

In spite of his impending prison time or death sentence, Peter slept. The night before Herod was to bring him to trial, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries stood guard at the entrance (Acts 12:6). Peter slept because he believed God was in control. God rewarded his faith by sending an angel to release him.

I’ve discovered a peaceful night’s sleep and a peaceful day’s living is still experienced the same way: by believing God is in control no matter how difficult the circumstances and by living in obedience to his commands. When I do, God won’t bother me with the nagging voice of his Spirit and keep me up at night. He will also release me from my prisons of fear, worry and anxiety.

Clean living leads to a clear conscience which in turn leads to a good night’s sleep.

Prayer: God of all power, keep us clean in our lifestyles and committed in our service.


2 comments:

  1. Psalm 3:5 says "I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me."

    One of my favorite Psalms because it often feels like there are so many demands placed on you and so much encroaching -but we sleep and we wake peacefully in the Lord!

    Love this post! Thanks! #Faith-Filled Friday!

    ReplyDelete