Saturday, July 7, 2012

Unforgotten by Martin Wiles

“Where did you put it?” “I can’t believe you can’t remember.

I’ve said that a few times-as if I’m the king of remembering. Whatever “it” is, where “it” is is a mystery. If I knew, I wouldn’t have to ask myself or anyone else.

Many who study the human mind claim we never actually forget anything unless we’ve had an accident or mental event that damages our brain. Otherwise, the information is there whether we can access it or not. Most of the time, the right circumstance or sensory experience is all that’s necessary to remember what we think we’ve forgotten.

As we age, our ability to access all we’ve learned usually diminishes. Research shows mentally challenging activities are important and can even wart off the onset of such disabling diseases as Alzheimer’s. So I read, write and mentally challenge myself because some days I feel as if I’m forgetting more than I’m remembering.

Israel repeatedly forgot God-at least their actions seemed to say so. He blessed them with health, wealth and land, and they rewarded him by worshipping pagan gods and reveling in immoral activities. Though he disciplined them, he never forgot them. Can a mother forget the baby at her breast…? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! (Isaiah 49:15)

And that’s good news. God doesn’t have memory problems. Once we become his child, we stay his child. He never forgets we are nor does he ever forget our name. Like a good father or mother, he cares for our every need and always acts in our best interest. Our actions may occasionally say we’re forgetting him, but he never forgets us.

Pause to thank God that he never forgets you.

Prayer: Father, may we continually remember to act out our love for You.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post! I am very forgetful at times... thank goodness God isn't!

    ReplyDelete