Friday, June 29, 2012

Faith Stepping by Martin Wiles

My wife and I prayed over the decision for months. Should I resign or stay? God gave no clear direction other than a nagging feeling resigning was the right thing to do.

Early Friday morning, I woke my wife and whispered, “I know what I’m going to do.” Logically, resigning made little sense. We could move in with Mom, but how would we pay bills? We decided to sell half of our antique collection just to prove to God we were serious about obeying him.

Once we took the faith step, unforeseen things materialized. We tagged our antiques with “nonnegotiable” prices and no one dickered. A friend bought a few things, handed us her payment, and said, “Consider the rest a gift.” A gift four times what she owed. Another friend called: “I shared your situation with my Sunday School class and asked if they wanted to help.” They gave four times what she expected.

We wanted God to give a step by step plan; he wanted trust. We wanted assurance we could meet budget; he said “Don’t worry.” Many were concerned about our faith decision, but God said, “You take the step and then I’ll open doors.”

Abraham probably wanted more specifics too, but God simply told him to leave his homeland. The only promise was many descendants and God’s presence. So he went: By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going (Hebrews 11:8).

Faith stepping means moving ahead even when God hasn’t given the particulars. I’m more comfortable with it now than I once was. I’ve built up a trust factor. God promises he won’t let me down, and he never has. When we’re finely tuned to the Spirit’s voice through prayer, we’ll always step where God wants at just the right time. Are you willing to faith step?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, wherever You lead, we’ll follow.
Visit Bible Love Notes for more wonderful devotions.

3 comments:

  1. Wow... what a great post! I am guilty of wanting that plan laid out before me. I need to know whats next. Unfortunately, God has to keep bringing me back to lessons in dealing with my plans versus HIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just what I needed! I need to take my own faith steps and reading this gave me the push I needed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this statement "Once we took the faith step, unforeseen things materialized" Faith brings into existence things that are not!

    ReplyDelete