Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Running On The Rim by Martin Wiles

Ker plump, ker plump. The noise grew louder, but I wasn’t about to stop.

Being a teenager, running a paper route and going to school are not easy things to do at the same time, but I was making a valid attempt. My route took me five miles from home and began around 3 a.m.

One night, I heard a mysterious ker plump. I was in the middle of nowheresville and didn’t want to investigate, but since the car was riding lopsided I figured I should. A flat tire. I wasn’t about to change it in the dark, so I drove it home almost ruining the rim in the process.

A prophet’s job was sharing God’s word with people who usually didn’t want to hear. Isaiah wasn’t always popular, but when he found himself running on rims of burnout, fear, disappointment and discouragement, he had a source. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. (Isaiah 12:2)

Burnout happens when we pack too much into our schedules and don’t leave time for sleep, relaxation and mind refreshing hobbies. Disappointment creeps in when things don’t turn out as we hoped or others don’t want to hear our ideas. Discouragement pops up when we’ve done what God said but are avoided, gossiped about or even physically harmed.

God doesn’t promise his work will be popular or easy-just necessary. Comfort comes by claiming his strength to accomplish what he assigns and by believing he will defend us when we’re opposed. Rather than running on the rim of fear, let God be your strength.

Prayer: God, when fear prompts us to back up from Your assignments, give us courage to launch out into the night.

2 comments:

  1. Burnout does happen, and those bumps in the night are warnings that trouble is ahead unless we fix the problem. I find that taking a mid day rest works for me and I get up refreshed and ready to complete the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nice post :) and a great reminder! There's no reason not to slow down, and lean in to the love that God provides. Thank you for joining my blog hop this week.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete