Monday, May 7, 2012

Bad Decisions by Martin Wiles

As a teenager, I was the king of bad decisions. One landed me at a local police station.

Age fourteen began a string of poor decisions. I took up habits better left alone and hung around with people who were unruly influences. I had a wonderful home life; I just needed to rebel.

By sixteen, I was ready to leave. I threw some things together, robbed the pantry and took off for the mountains. Unfortunately, it was winter and the road I chose to hide on was covered with snow and ice. A few feet and I was stuck. My plan quickly unraveled. I walked to a nearby hotel, called a friend for help but got the police and parents instead. It was a long ride home.

To rebellious minds, Christianity is valueless, and I classified mine as such. Esau did too. “Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me?” (Genesis 25:32) As the oldest son, Esau would inherit most of the family estate which included spiritual heritage. He wasn’t interested. Selfishness overcame common sense, and he traded everything for a bowl of stew.

Many decisions cannot be reversed. I can’t not run away.  But I can choose not to allow past regrettable decisions to continue defining me. I ran away but I’m not a runaway. I’ve lied, but I’m not a liar. When believers make flawed or sinful decisions, it’s temporary insanity. We should quickly confess, receive God’s forgiveness and move on. Christ cleans us up. We just get a little dirty sometimes walking through the world.

Let your normal heart’s desire to obey-not temporary bad decisions to disobey, define you.

Prayer: Merciful Savior, guide us to good decisions so we won’t trade our inheritance for a bowl of stew.

Receive these devotions by email. Enter your address in the blog sidebar and click submit.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Martin... I often joke about folks making "Bad life decisions" but when I'm being perfectly honest, I know I have been there to. Praise God that He is a loving, merciful Lord who gives us guidance when we seek Him to make Godly life decisions. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete