Thursday, March 29, 2012

Regret’s Poison

I should have listened, but it was too late. 

College wasn’t in the plans. I wasn’t even fond of high school and proved it by quitting my senior year only to return a few months later when the grass on the other side turned tasteless. I eventually graduated but entered the work world instead of another classroom.

Eight years later, I accepted God’s plan and returned to college as a twenty seven year old, possessing a different outlook on life and education. Among my regrets was paying for what would have earlier been free because of my father’s profession. But regret didn’t prevent my forward move, and eventually I paid the bill.

I’ve been known to long for the good old days when life was simpler. When a loaf of bread was nine cents, a gallon of milk 14 cents and a pound of steak 42 cents. But that was the Great Depression.

Solomon warns of regret’s poison. It keeps us longing for good old days viewed through rose colored glasses. Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions. (Ecclesiastes 7:10)

But we have regrets nevertheless. Over failed marriages, misunderstood statements, unwarranted conflicts, poor financial decisions, unforgiveness, soured friendships, and foolish decisions. Not attending college after high school is only one of mine. You probably have a list too. 
Regret imprisons in the past, and while I’m a product of mine I don’t have to be a prisoner. I’ve chosen freedom instead. I can long for what might have been or enjoy what is and can be. Pasts may contain closets full of ugly skeletons, but God’s future is bright and beautiful:  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)

God renews our future when we allow him to heal past regrets.

Prayer: Lord, teach us to learn from the past but not live there.

If you would like to receive these devotions by email, enter your address on the blog's sidebar and click submit. And please share it with a friend.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Martin. This is one of those things one knows, but those regrets are pesky critters. It helps to remember that God has dominion over all things, and that He redeems. I can never mess up more than He can fix. He will always find me as I seek Him. I do wish it had been different, though...

    Visiting from Welcoming Spirit and happy to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin, this is a great post. I like your prayer, and will take it to heart. Thank you for joining my blog hop :) I'm a new follower!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. In my life I've seen God use my mistakes to teach me things I was too stubborn to learn without them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. I often have a hard time with this. With the holding on to what could of been. Thank you for the reminder to let go and move on. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes. . . freedom. and it's a choice, this not living in the regrets of the past. difficult at times, but essential to our moving forward.
    thanks for sharing!
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much of life is a choice, in our actions and perspective. I choose freedom, not to live in the past. Loved our words today. They ring true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God can absolutely redeem when we ask and invite Him to do so, and He can use our old hurts and failures to help others. Anything else is a life, and my life is proof. I'm so thankful.

    ReplyDelete