Thursday, March 8, 2012

Bird Talk

It was a warm March morning when he appeared outside my office window.

A soft chirp caught my attention as I was trying to write and worry simultaneously. I peered out the window and noticed a male black capped chickadee. My wife had stuffed a maple syrup can with cotton and placed it on a patio table for decoration. I watched as the small bird hopped from one boll to another, stuffing cotton in his beak between chirps. Occasionally he would pause and glance my way as if to say; Take note, God provides for the nest I’m building.

Answering Job’s despair, God reminds him; Who provides food for the raven when its young cry out to God and wander about for lack of food? (Job 38:41) Jesus said something similar; Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. (Matthew 6:26)

We placed the cotton on our porch never imagining God would use it to care for a bird. God nurtures his creation but often uses us as cogs in the wheel. Nests require trees. God grows them. Animals need food. God prompts me to buy feeders. Water is necessary. God stimulates me to buy a bird bath.

But knowing God cares for animals doesn’t necessarily comfort me. I need to know he’ll do the same for me. And he will. That was God’s point to Job: Quit worrying. I’ve got things under control. Jesus finished the above verse with, Are you not much more valuable than they? When overcome with worry and anxiety, take time to listen to a bird.

Prayer: Merciful God, when the cares of this life overcome us, let Your provision and comfort overcome them.

You can receive these devotions in your email box by entering your address on the sidebar and clicking submit. If this post blessed you, why not share it with a friend?

5 comments:

  1. I think immediately of Job 12:7 - "But now ask the beasts, and they will teach you; And the birds of the air, and they will tell you..." So much to learn from these wonderful creatures about our yet more wonderful Lord. He taught me so much about His care for us when I was at one of those impossible places in life, not knowing where the next day's provision would come from. He is faithful. May He comfort and bless you and yours, and alleviate all your worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture, and the thoughts that you shared along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this post. we have a bird feeder in the garden and i too have made a post about the birds that come to our garden. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great analogy, Martin. So great to know God cares for us in this way. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. So enjoyed your post. I love birds and this really speaks to me regarding the many ways God provides for them and me.

    ReplyDelete