Friday, February 17, 2012

Wounded Warriors

A HUMVEE ON steroids. At least that’s what he called it, and he manned one searching for road side bombs in Iraq.

He found one in short order. It mortally injured a friend who died in his arms. The next injured him. He survived, pulled a comrade to safety and received a bronze medal. But the stint took its toll. Wounded and haunted by post traumatic stress syndrome, he continues serving until his enlistment is up or he is medically discharged.

Israel was wounded by God’s discipline because of disobedience, but God gave them hope: So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

Some wounds only scratch the surface while others tear gaping holes. Bankruptcy, divorce, rebellious children, crime, jail, ethical lapses, doubt, hate, anger toward God, misunderstandings, unkind remarks, gossip. I’ve inflicted a few wounds, and I too am a wounded warrior carrying the scars of bad decisions and other’s explosions. I’ve rescued some but let others die out of unconcern.

Occasionally, I too feel symptoms similar to PTSD: difficulty concentrating, bad memories, anxiety, stress, sleepless nights and dwelling on wrong turns. It’s then I remember God’s promises. I have no reason to fear; he’s always with me, giving me strength to face any trial and holding me up when I can’t stand on my own.

God’s salve heals the deepest wounds and gives strength for one more step.
copyright 2012, Martin Wiles

No comments:

Post a Comment