Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Confidence Never Loses

“Quitters never win.” “If you fall off, get up and try again.”

I heard those statements when learning to ride a bike. I wanted a bike but not just any bike. It had to have high handlebars and a banana seat. But such a bike was useless if I couldn’t ride it. So I started on a smaller version with training wheels. At a certain age though, this makes one a sissy. The day arrived when Dad took the wrench and removed them. As he steadied the bike, I hopped on. Then he gave the dreaded push. I wobbled, twisted, fell and heard, “Get up and try again.” I did and eventually learned to ride and got the bike I wanted.

Quitters don’t win and repeated efforts normally yield success, yet everyone experiences failure. I’ve failed classes and on occasion as a parent and husband. I’ve missed other’s expectations and more importantly God’s. Fortunately someone was there to temper my failure with encouragement as Paul did for the Corinthian believers: Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (I Corinthians 15:58)

Continually encouraging those who fail and disappoint us or themselves is difficult but essential for our growth and theirs. Expressing confidence rather than demeaning remarks reminds us we’re not beyond failure either. It also gives hope failures don’t have to be repeated, but even if they are God forgives. Who needs to hear you express confidence in them?

Prayer: Father, enable us to communicate confidence to the disappointed and the quitters with encouragement from Your Word.
You can receive these devotions in your email inbox by entering your email address on the sidebar and clicking submit. If this post encouraged you, why not share it with a friend?

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of a song I use to sing when I was a kid. So let the sunshine in face it with a grin. Smilers never lose, and frowners never win. So let the sun shine in face it with a grin, open up your heart and let the sun shine in. hahaha Come on it was a cute song! Already following you. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very encouraged by reading "Confidence Never Loses" and look forward to reading more encouraging words with scripture to remind me to keep my focus on God!

    ReplyDelete