Monday, January 7, 2019

Instant, Not Always Best - Martin Wiles

So Jacob worked seven years to pay for Rachel. But his love for her was so strong that it seemed to him but a few days. Genesis 29:20 NLT
Open the jar, measure one teaspoon, place in cup, add boiling water, stir, add cream and sugar if desired, and imbibe. If you like instant coffee, and my maternal grandfather did.
Why my grandmother didn’t fix my grandfather real coffee, I’m not quite sure. Perhaps because she wasn’t a coffee drinker. But then again, she did everything else for him. She could have perked him good coffee.
My other grandparents never drank instant coffee. Both loved java—and perked java. They’d measure out grounds of Maxwell House or Folgers into the top filter of the percolator, fill it with water, plug it in, and go do whatever they needed to do. Thirty minutes later, I’d hear the percolator stop and my grandmother say, “I think the coffee’s ready.”
Waiting came next. I could pour and prepare it, but drinking it immediately meant a burnt tongue. Waiting made for a more enjoyable experience.
Jacob also discovered instant wasn’t always best. His uncle Laban had two daughters, but he wanted the younger one—which violated custom. He worked seven years for Rachel, but when he woke up the next morning after the wedding night, he discovered his uncle had tricked him and given him Leah. So he agreed to work seven more years if his uncle would give him Rachel in marriage.
Instant isn’t always best, but it is in at least one instance: salvation. I can’t work a number of years to attain it or even do any particular work to get it. In fact, I can’t labor for it at all. When I repent of my sins, believe in what Jesus did on Calvary’s cross, and ask Him into my life as my Savior, I am instantly saved. No delay. Just instant forgiveness.
Other things don’t come instantaneously, however. Things such as spiritual growth, patience, and kindness. Spiritual growth takes time and work. Hours spent in Bible study, prayer, meditation, and working with other believers. Learning to respond with patience toward those who aggravate me also takes time and effort. And learning to show kindness to those who aren’t kind to me doesn’t happen overnight.
God will enable me to show and enjoy those things that aren’t instant if I’ll trust Him. And He’ll do the same for you. 
Learn to enjoy those things in life that don’t come instantaneously.

Prayer: Father, help us to patiently wait on the best things You want to give us. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterestTwitter, and Instagram. Help us spread God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment