Wednesday, July 11, 2018

A Matter of Perspective - Martin Wiles

In the same way, when you obey me you should say, “We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty. Luke 17:10 NLT

My wife and I are the proud owners of one small Chihuahua and a cat of unknown breed. One is our official Granddog, and the other we adopted.

We often marvel at the difference in our animal’s personalities. For our dog, it’s about serving. But where the cat’s concerned, it’s about service. As long as we feed and pet the dog, he’s content. I can leave for 30 minutes, and when I return I’m greeted with a wagging tail, a bouncing body, a hug, and of course a lick in the ear.

The cat, on the other hand, has a serve me attitude. You owe me. Change my litter box. Feed me. Beg for my attention. And I just might come and sit in your lap or let you stroke my ears. No guarantees though.

Dogs recognize their duty to serve, but cats haven’t grasped the concept. Unfortunately, I don’t always either.

I’m trying desperately to learn what our dog knows: I was created to serve not be served. And of all the people I might choose to serve, God is the most important. Not that I serve him thinking he will reward me for my admirable service. Rather I serve him out of adoration and appreciation for forgiveness.

God doesn’t owe me anything, but I owe him everything. Serving him directly and through my service to others is the least I can do. Occasionally I act like our cat by reminding God how good I’ve been and by reciting my list of what I’d like him to do for me. But for the most part, I just revel in the fact that he loves me.

Are you serving in an attempt to become God’s child or because you already are?



Prayer: Father, remind us that when we serve You, we are simply doing our duty.


Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment