Monday, June 11, 2018

Ruptured Routines - Martin Wiles

Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt. Exodus 3:10 NLT

For a creature of habit, a change in the morning routine is nerve rattling.

The time had come for a change. For ten years, I had worked at jobs that required me to begin the day early in the morning. Exercising before work was out of the question. But now things were different. I wasn’t punching a time clock, and my work schedule was flexible. So I made the announcement to my wife: “Tomorrow, I’m going to change my schedule.”

Change doesn’t come easily for me, so the day before my routine rupture I went over in my mind how I wanted my new schedule to look. Get up, drink a glass of orange juice while I write, then walk, eat, shower, and work.

Having planned for the change made it easier to adapt. I arrived at the office at the same time I normally do. I felt good, and I no longer had to endure the hot afternoon sun.

God is a routine rupturer. He has ruptured my routine numerous times, and the Bible’s pages are full of examples where He did the same for others. In this case, Moses. Brought up in the finest pleasures of Egyptian life, Moses chose to leave it all behind to identify with his people—who were slaves. But that wasn’t enough. God told him to leave his shepherding lifestyle behind and lead his people out of slavery.

God ruptures our routines when He wants to send us in a new direction, as He did Moses. He doesn’t always tell us why, but He always leads us faithfully. God isn’t against change, nor should we be. Change isn’t easy, but when God asks us to change our routines there’s a reason. He doesn’t ask us to change merely for change’s sake.

With the new routine, God teaches us lessons. The lessons are as varied as the changes He takes us through, but they are all important. These lessons will relate to what He is about to do in our lives.

And anytime God ruptures our routines, He will hone our trust and deepen our faith in Him. Moses had to allow God to do this so he could man-up to the task God gave him.

Don’t fear when God ruptures your routine. His new routine will be better than your old one.



Prayer: Father, give us faith to trust You when You rupture our routines. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment