Monday, October 9, 2017

What a Walk - Martin Wiles

And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. Genesis 5:24 NKJV
He was the first to do what I longed to do…but probably never would.
In his book, Walking with Spring, Earl Shaffer details his account of being the first person to hike the full length of the Appalachian Trail—a footpath extending more than 2,000 miles from Springer Mountain, Georgia, to Mount Katahdin, Maine. The fairly new trail was a mess, not well-attended like today. Nor did he have the modern equipment available presently.
I once dreamed of taking a walk like Earl. Taking six months off from work and living in the wilderness, enjoying God’s creation. Although I’ve hiked numerous sections of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Virginia, I’ve never hiked the entire trail. Now, age and health concerns would prevent me from doing so.
Enoch took a walk of a different variety. He walked with God, and when his time came to leave this earth God just took him. He didn’t have to pass through the scary experience of death. He merely disappeared into God’s hands and entered heaven.
To take a walk with God means I must go in the same direction as He does. God is characterized by holiness and righteousness. Walking with Him means I must pursue the same traits. While I can’t be purely holy and righteous in practice as He is, I can be in position by accepting what He’s allowed His Son to do on Calvary’s cross: pay for my sins. When I accept that act, Jesus’ righteousness—which was as pure as God the Father’s, is applied to my life.
Walking with God is often taxing as it was for Earl Schaffer as he maneuvered a rough and unkempt trail. But God promises to walk with me, giving me power to make it through the rough spots.
Taking a walk with God requires obedience. Jesus says if I love Him I will obey His commands. Doing so isn’t always easy, but He will give me strength to do that as well.
When I walk with God, I can also expect rewards. God gives me the desire to serve Him, the power to obey His commands, and then rewards me for His accomplishments through me. The assurance of His presence and love now and throughout eternity keeps me taking another step.
Walking is good exercise. Take a daily walk with God and reap the benefits.

Prayer: Father, thank You for the privilege of walking with you. 

Looking for a wide selection of genres in inspirational books at discount prices? Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment