Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Parent’s Advice by Martin Wiles

“Get a good education.” “Go to college.” “Be neat in your appearance.” “Obey your parents.”

All pieces of my parent’s advice to me. Their demands seemed overbearing. I hated school, and the thought of attending college was revolting. I was growing up when hippies were popular, so neatness didn’t count in my book either. Obeying parents who seemed to know it all but whose ideas were quite different than mine was difficult. Their advice was sound, but it took me quite a few years to realize it.

So was King David’s to his son Solomon, but Solomon was like me in a number of ways. So now, with God as our witness, and in the sight of all Israel—the LORD’s assembly—I give you this charge (I Chronicles 28:8 NLT).

Sound parental advice encourages children to obey God as David did Solomon and my parents did me. But peer pressure made it difficult. Only after I’d sown my wild oats during my teen and young adult years did I come to realize the importance of consistent obedience to God regardless of what others were doing.

Conscientious parents also encourage their children to know God intimately. Simply having a relationship with God doesn’t necessarily mean the relationship is intimate. Intimacy means closeness. I involve him in every detail of my life.

Another piece of admiral advice is encouraging our children to give God their whole heart and mind. God doesn’t like left over’s any more than I sometimes do. He wants my undivided attention.

Additionally, thoughtful parents will encourage their children to follow God’s plan. This may or may not be what they naturally want to do, but it’s the only way to discover true success and fulfillment.

What type of advice are you giving your children and grandchildren?

Prayer: Father, may the advice we offer our children and grandchildren be exemplified in our personal examples.


 Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment