Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Love’s Cost

Matthew 8:19 Then one of the teachers of religious law said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you no matter where you go!” (NLT) 

I can’t ever recall saying that to anyone. I usually put conditions on whether I follow or not: are they popular, are they in style, will following enhance my status, will following consume too much of my time, will it cost me anything. You know the selfish questions that ask “What’s in it for me?” An apparent interested individual told Jesus he would follow him regardless, but when Jesus said he didn’t even have a place to lay his head, he probably stopped following before he ever started. Loving others costs. I love my wife so I sacrifice for her. I love my friends so I’m loyal to them. Sacrificing time and selfish interests is the norm if I’m to follow those I love. Jesus sacrificed his time and life, making it possible for us to connect with him. What is following him costing you?

No comments:

Post a Comment