Friday, November 18, 2011

Love’s Treasure House

Matthew 7:8 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. (NLT)

I’ve never had trouble doing the first, but the getting and finding haven’t always materialized, nor has the door always opened. “All you do is want, want, want.” My parents said something similar to me numerous times as a child growing up. I repeated it to my children, and my wife tells me the same though not in the exact words. Every time we visit an auction or antique store, I want, want, want. Sometimes she opens the door; other times she slams it shut. But one thing is certain-if I don’t ask I have no chance of getting anything. Jesus’ offer isn’t a blank check but rather encouragement to ask for the right things and a promise that when we do he will open the door. What are the right things? Whatever enables us to accomplish his will and enhances our journey with him. Anything less is wants, wants, wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment