Friday, October 28, 2011

Loving The Unlovable

Matthew 5:44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! (NLT)

Loving my enemies is not the natural thing for me to do. In wartime, we kill our enemies. In peacetime, we hate them, gossip about them, undermine them and avoid them. Either way, the result is the same. We kill opportunities to love them. But why must I love them? They don’t love me, and given the chance they will kill me in the same ways. Loving only those who love me doesn’t give me any bragging rights. Even my enemies love those who love them back. When I love the unlovable, I demonstrate God’s type of love. Even while I was a sinner, he sent Christ to die for my sins. And he continues to love me through all my foibles. Loving the unlovable puts us in good company.
(photo courtesy of christianphotos.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment