Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Love Doesn’t Retaliate

Matthew 5:39 But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. (NLT)

My parents didn’t slap me nor has anyone else, but if I was offering the other cheek probably wouldn’t immediately enter my mind. Raising a fist or uttering an unkind word might. Planning how I could get back at them might also. Our nature prevents us from accepting criticism or injury without desiring retaliation. According to Jesus, the above responses are wrong. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is not the proper mindset. And he modeled what he taught. Instead of fighting back, he let himself be maligned, beaten, and crucified. Rather than taking the law into our own hands-or even appealing to the law for assistance, we can love and pray for our enemies. It’s not easy, but it allows good to overcome evil without resorting to violence.
(photo courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment